As the only Japanese film festival accredited by the International Federation of Film Producers Associations, TIFF has grown into one of the leading film festivals in Asia since its inception in 1985.
Award-winning director Mikhail Red’s Arisaka and the multi-awarded filmmaker Brillante Mendoza’s Resbak will compete in the Main Competition section of the festival that showcases feature films from around the world, where both films will have their world premiere. The Brokers by Daniel R. Palacio will have its world premiere in the Asian Future section, and Mendoza’s Gensan Punch will screen in the Gala Selection for its Japanese premiere in TIFF.
“Congratulations to the four films selected to participate in one of the largest film festivals in Asia. We hope to catch these films on the big screen to inspire our young generation of filmmakers further,” said FDCP Chairperson and CEO Liza Diño.
Survival-thriller film Arisaka revolves around a police officer, played by Maja Salvador, who retraces the trail of the Bataan Death March to escape her captors. The cast includes Mon Confiado, Art Acuña, Shella Mae Romualdo, Archi Adamos, Apollo Abraham, Kiel Rodriguez, Michael Roy Jornales, and Royce Cabrera.
Arisaka Screening Schedule:
- 1st Public Screening | November 1, 2021 | 15:55 | CHANTER CINE SC1
- 2nd Public Screening | November 6, 2021 | 15:50 | CHANTER CINE SC3
- 1st Press & Industry Screening | November 5, 2021 | 18:55 | CINE SWITCH GINZA SC2
- 2nd Press & Industry Screening | November 6, 2021 | 10:20 | CINE SWITCH GINZA SC1
Payback, starring Vince Rillon, Nash Aguas, and Jay Manalo, tells the story of Isaac, a motorcycle thief forced to work for a local syndicate to pay for his father’s debts. Albie Casiño, Khalil Ramos, Vance Larena, Felix Roco, Carlitos Siguion Reyna, Bibeth Orteza-Siguion Reyna, Mary Joy Apostol, Lito Pimentel, and Kiko Matos complete the film's ensemble.
Payback Screening Schedule:
- 1st Public Screening | October 30, 2021 | 19:15 | CHANTER CINE SC1
- 2nd Public Screening (Press & Industry Screening Included) | November 11, 2021 | YOMIURI HALL
- 1st Press & Industry Screening | November 1, 2021 | CINE SWITCH GINZA SC1
Palacio’s film, The Brokers, is set for its world premiere in the Asian Future. This competitive section features up-and-coming Asian directors who have directed no more than three feature-length films. A CreatePHFilm Fund for Post-Production grantee by the Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP), the film tells the story of two ambitious friends attempting to sell an illegally-occupied property for millions of dollars at the expense of 700 families that must be evicted. The film also stars JC De Vera, Max Eigenmann, and Joel Torre.
The Brokers Screening Schedule:
- 1st Public Screening | November 2, 2021 | 19:05 | HUMAN TRUST CINEMA YURAKUCHO SC1
- 2nd Public Screening | November 6, 2021 | 19:10 | HUMAN TRUST CINEMA YURAKUCHO SC1
- Press & Industry Screening | November 4, 2021 | 12:30 | CINE SWITCH GINZA SC2
Fresh from its world premiere bagging the Kim Jiseok award in the recently concluded Busan International Film Festival, “Gensan Punch” by Mendoza will have its Japanese premiere in the Gala Selection of the festival. A CreatePHFilms Fund for Post-Production grantee, the film tells the story of a Japanese man with a prosthetic leg who goes to the Philippines to train and pursue his dream to become a professional boxer. The film will soon be available on HBO.
Gensan Punch Screening Schedule:
- 1st Public Screening | October 20, 2021 | 17:00 | HUMAN TRUST CINEMA YURAKUCHO SC1
- 2nd Public Screening (Press & Industry Screening included) | November 5, 2021 | 10:40 | YOMIURI HALL
The TIFF was established in 1985 and is Japan’s first major film festival. The festival will run from October 30 to November 8, 2021.
Tokyo International Film Festival 2021
- Arisaka by Mikhail Red (World Premiere)
- Payback by Brillante Mendoza (World Premiere)
- The Brokers by Daniel R. Palacio (World Premiere)
- Gensan Punch by Brillante Mendoza (Japanese Premiere)